credit to avatarspirit.net
Like the first season, Book 2: Spirits also had plenty of ups and downs.
WHAT I LIKED:
* More time given to Tenzin, Bumi and Kya. I much prefer to explore the next generation of Team Aang than Team Korra.
* Less time devoted to Mako, Asami, and Bolin. Korra is improved greatly without these three.
* The beautiful animation and fight scenes. They've always been highlights of the series and I'm glad they still are.
* Giving Jason Marsden a role. He's one of the best voice actors in the business, and his small role as Aye-Aye was (expectedly) awesome.
* The entire backstory with Wan. My god, the art and animation were simply stunning. Undoubtedly one of the most superior examples of art and storytelling in Korra.
* Korra and Mako are done for good. Thank goodness we can finally put this subplot to rest.
* The reappearance of Iroh, Wan Shi Tong and Zhao in the Spirit World.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
* How the relationship between Tenzin, Bumi and Kya was handled. Honestly, their dialogue was sort of painful. I guess it was trying to do what Macross Plus did and show how adults can still act like immature children. But it was poorly executed. (Bumi's character in particular.) Well, I'd rather watch the three of them than the angsty and annoying teenagers.
* The Korra-Mako-Asami triangle. The stupid attempts at romantic subplots need to be eradicated for good. They are not doing Korra any favors whatsoever. It needs to stop.
* Everything that was centered around Bolin. And Asami for that matter. And Varrick. The three of them just kind of lumped together in the same annoying subplot.
* The lack of Lin Bei Fong.
* How blatantly bad Unalaq was form the start. If the writers wanted to make his reveal as a baddie shocking, it failed. It was way too damn obvious.
* The black-and-white "good and evil" stuff. I'm hardly a fan of stories that make each side so clear cut anymore. So the fact that Vaatu is evil incarnate and how one-sided Unalaq is bothered me a bit. If it's one thing that I like more about Book Air, it's Amon.
* Raava and Vaatu's character designs. In fact, I found a lot of the spirits' aesthetics to be a little irksome. They seem a bit more childish than I remember- especially the background spirits and when they're influenced by Vaatu. Besides, it's not like anything in Avatar is ever going to be creepier than Koh the Face Stealer.
* Speaking of character designs, the fuck was up with Unalaq's gigantic evil form?
* The voice acting. It's still a little rough. Especially Korra's actress Janet Varney.
* The ending. Avatar is almost notorious for its wishy-washy endings, and the end of Book 2: Spirits takes the cake. I am incredibly mad that the connection to all of the past Avatars is lost.Among many other things.
Korra: Book 2 was a prominent step down from Book 1 and had even more problems than all of its predecessors combined. I'm very scared as to what the next two seasons will bring and how they will further expand or destroy Avatar.